Monday, September 27, 2010

My father in law, the bravest man I know

This man has come to my rescue many times. My first experience was when Danny and I just bought our house. We redid the whole house and got to work as soon as we got the keys. About day three of construction, I hear my husband scream (I'm sure he would say a yell, but it was a scream) from downstairs. I thought for sure he had electrocuted himself. I came running downstairs to see what happened, and I see Danny laying on the floor yelling, "save yourself." Then I saw it, a bat! Eww, I hate bats. So like any smart woman would do, I booked it outside and left Danny inside to fend for himself.
Soon Danny jumped into his truck to "go get some things so we could get the bat out." Excuse me, "we". So I call my mom to take my place :). My mom comes right over and the two of us wait outside on the back porch. Danny came back with his fire helmet and grabbed a tennis racket from the garage. He looks at my mom, who came packing with a little kid's butterfly net, and shook his head. He rummaged around in his truck and came up with another fire helmet. This was no ordinary fire helmet, it was the plastic ones that they give out to the kid when they take a tour of the fire station. I soon see my brave husband with a tennis racket in hand and my mother with her butterfly net and plastic little hat enter "the danger zone."
Again me being the smart one, I stay outside. Then I hear both of them screaming. I look through the window and see the bat diving down at them while they are both laying on the floor. So I decide to call in reinforcements. I call my father in law. I shows up with nothing but a smile on his face. Me: "you didn't bring anything to catch it". He pulls out a pair of gloves from his back pocket and walk inside. Needless to say, that night I didn't have to sleep with the covers over my head.
The second time my FIL saved me came a couple years later. I came home and heard some scratching in the garage. I grab Ava and run inside. I was sure it was some rabid possum waiting to strike at just the right time. Just like always, my FIL comes over with nothing but a grin. Again, I watch from indoors this time. He yells at me to come out to see the savage beast that threatened the life of Ava and I. It was..... a sparrow. In my defense, it was a very mad sparrow- and larger than a normal one.
Today, again my FIL came to my rescue. I found a spider the size of a baseball in the bathroom. I couldn't bring myself to kill it, so I trapped it under a cup.... that now is in the trash. He comes right over and does what he does best- uses his bravery to yet again save me. Thank you Dan, I don't know what I would do without you, and I'm glad I have provided you with so much humor over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment